Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Setting

In my first blog post I talked about how I was not sure how the novela would be able to keep someone hooked for over a hundred episodes. I was not skeptical, but more curious. During the last time that I watched La Reina del Sur I realized that the setting has played a crucial role in the development of the plot. The first few episodes took place in Sinaloa, Mexico, but the setting quickly changes to Melilla, Spain, then again to another city in Spain, and the episodes that I am currently watching take place inside of a prison.
The settings got me thinking about the writers and their collaboration. There is no doubt that writing a telenovela by yourself would be incredibly exhausting, but is having multiple writers perfect solution? This strategy has obviously proven to be successful, but I still have doubts that it is an easy alternative. I guess what I am most curious about is the conflict that arises from having multiple writers. How are ideas received and selected for the final product, or how involved is everyone in any given episode? Definitely something to look into.

2 comments:

  1. The setting of my telenovela is set in the 1970s. I agree also with that finding props to fit the setting must be exhausting. It is really incredible how everyone comes together to produce the entire series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The setting was definitely a deciding factor when I chose my telenovela. La Patrona revolves around a mining town so there are obviously a lot of scenes within a mine. I thought that the dangers of a mine would be a lot of fun to watch and I was right. As far as the multiple writers thing goes, I'm pretty sure that the way they do it is individual writers write individual episodes that follow the story that the head writer chooses and the head writer then approves each individual episode. That could be completely wrong because I did zero research but it feels right.

    ReplyDelete