Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Development

From the few clips of Avenida Brasil that I was able to find online, I have gotten the general plot of the show. I love it. I really want to binge-watch all of it and drown myself in the tears, angst, romance, and everything that is wonderful about Jorginho and Nina. I ship them with everything that I am, and though I sometimes want to shake him for how many times he misunderstood the situation, and how rude he sometimes was to Nina, I can't help but continue to devote hours upon hours scouring Youtube for more clips of the most perfect couple I've had the pleasure of meeting.

However, with the plot development, and the epiphanies that come with the ever-developing plot, I also wonder if there is character development as well. We've discussed in class before that the stereotypical heroines in telenovelas are those who are basically the damsels in distress. Those are the Cinderella stories that may portray the female protagonist as naive, innocent, and kind, while the male protagonist may be portrayed as very macho, kind, but naive. These characteristics seem to be prevalent in many telenovelas, but my question is do these characteristics remain the same throughout the entire series? Does the female protagonist remain naive and trusting until the very last episode despite all the obstacles that are bound to come her way, or does she change with the flow of the plot, exhibiting a more tough exterior as time passes? Excluding the antagonist, who may or may not be redeemed by the final episode, are the other characters static or dynamic? In regards to Avenida Brasil, I wonder if Nina remains vengeful until her need for justice is satisfied, or if she ever ends up focusing just on her present rather than her past. I look forward to continue my search for the English subtitles episodes in order to find out.

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is possible for the protagonists to break out of the stereotypical naive, innocent, and kind roles that are generally given to them in many telenovelas. For example, in my telenovela, La Reina del Sur, Teresa, although not innocent, starts as a very naive woman and transforms into a strong and independent person. Although her transformation is fast, the telenovela itself works to break many of the traditional aspects of a telenovela. It breaks out of the traditional love story that dominates so many telenovelas. Instead of the protagonist ending up with her one love interest, Teresa has several love interests, each ending in tragedy and death. I think that the way telenovelas break the typical cycle helps in their success, because the story is more than just the same old love story.

    ReplyDelete