Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Plot Development

Novelas have always been present in my life. Since I was a young child, I could remember my mom, my aunts, and my grandma discussing the latest episodes or the stories of a novela. Since we all lived in the same apartment, it was something that I would hear almost every day. I never thought anything of it. I figured novelas were mostly for women since the only people that I knew who watched them were women. Around ten years later, I remember my dad asking my mom about some novela because he was not caught up with it. I still refused to believe that they were something that anyone could enjoy; I just figured that my dad was watching them to connect more with my mom. However, my cousin, who is as close as a brother to me, also mentioned watching novelas every night with his mom. That is when I realized that anyone could enjoy this genre of television.
Honestly, I still did not watch any novelas, mostly because I did not watch much television during this time. However, seeing the previews got me very eager to start watching them. There are scenes that were very intense, scenes that were comical, and scenes that were relaxing to watch. What I really am interested in is the plot development in novelas. I do not understand how they can keep someone watching for over one hundred episodes, especially when the the major characters are introduced in the first episode and they seem to fall in love immediately. Watching a clip from Michaela today in class made me question that.
I am excited to start watching La Reina del Sur to find answers to my questions and to get involved in the story. Maybe I could also see where Kate del Castillo started interacting with famous drug lords.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plot development coupled with the cliffhangers at the end of every episode must be amazing to keep the viewers coming back episode after episode. I am also wondering if there is a lot of character development within the series. I learned in class that the typical female protagonist is naive, pure, and a whole bunch of other stereotypical female characteristics, but do they stay that way throughout the entire series? I would hope not, especially with some series having 600+ episodes. Are the characters in telenovelas dynamic or static? Or is it a mix of both?

    ReplyDelete